The San Angelo Blues Society is a fun loving group of people in San Angelo, Texas who enjoy each other and promote Blues music over miles and miles of West Texas. In fact, we are the only active Blues Foundation affiliated Blues Society providing entrants to the International Blues Challenge, West of Dallas/Fort Worth and North of Austin. That’s an area of several thousand square miles!
As stated we are a member of The Blues Foundation headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee and a registered non-profit corporation by the State of Texas, and now a 501(c)3 per the IRS.
The Society was founded by a small group of Blues enthusiasts and civic minded citizens several years ago who enjoyed listening to blues music and appreciated its rich, colorful history. For years our Society has operated in a planned chaotic manner and had spurned unnecessary organization.
Our phenomenal (and somewhat unexpected) success with producing our “Simply Texas Blues Festival”, has driven us to a more organized mode. We now have an active Board of Directors. We have become a real live 501 (c ) 3 corporation. Wow!
We’re unique in that we deem each and every member a valued Vice-President and understand that we are as strong as our membership. That’s just our special way of keeping everyone involved and important in our somewhat whimsical society.
The San Angelo Blues Society is proud of our accomplishments in promoting Blues music. We are proud of the venues that serve up our vibrant music scene and the astounding number of good musicians locally. And we are proud of our great little city in general. In fact, we were awarded the City of San Angelo’s Community Spirit Award for the fun we provided in producing the annual ‘Simply Texas Blues Festival.’
A few of the many activities we had a hand in were:
- Fat Tuesday Celebration Benefiting the SABS
- BB King concert at the River Stage
- Slim Jim Rose concert at the Cactus Hotel (2007)
- Pinetop Perkins live in concert at the Cactus Hotel (2008)
- Rich DelGrosso concert at the Cactus Hotel (2009)
- Blue Jeans for Blues benefit sale
- Yearly sponsoring act(s) to compete in the International Blues Challenge, Memphis, TN
- Support for the San Angelo Cultural Affairs Council
- Scholarships offered to students attending Angelo State University and Howard College
- Blues in the Schools programs
- Producing the Simply Texas Blues Festival each May since 2009
- Beer Blues and BBQ and Musician’s Jam each month
- Support the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program
- Support the Concho Valley Food Bank
- The “Memphis Project” IBC bound musicians benefit
We meet once a month, every first Thursday and our members are often seen congregating wherever live music can be heard. The regularly scheduled meeting is the first Wed. of each month at 5:30 p.m. generally at The House of FiFi Dubois. (123 South Chadbourne Street). We always recite the pledge of allegiance, learn some bits of blues history and even get some business done. Meetings are often followed by live music.
We have also hosted FUN events honoring days such as Janis Joplin’s birthday, Fat Tuesday, St. Patrick’s Day, Juneteenth, International Blues Music Day, etc. etc.
With some 140 members, we complete the club mission of promoting Blues music, Blues history and down home good fellowship.
Applications are currently being taken for members. You get a sharp-looking t-shirt and an acceptance into a fun club in for only 30 bucks! ($20 to re-up)
For more information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mailing address is:
PO Box 2779
San Angelo, Texas
Our President and Directors
President: Clay Hubbard
T Gozney Thornton
M. D. Shurley
Caroline Koger, Treasurer
Lesley Worsham, Secretary